Wednesday 10 December 2008

Been Around The World But Still Love London

On my travels I have been to quite a few cities in several continents, but I have recently decided that none of them top the one on my own doorstep. Now this may sound pig headed but from the ones I have seen, London has the greatest variety of activities, modern attractions, history, and entertainment of them all.

Before I start with London I will say that other cities I have visited have been a nice change. I enjoyed Paris as a city because there are lots of sights, churches, a good atmosphere and great food, and Rome for similar reasons and additionally the ancient history. Cities further away such as Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur each left me with a good vibe because they were busy, hectic and so very different from what I had previously known.

I feel that London has brilliant choice and can satisfy people searching for different things. If you are into history then you can visit the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Tower Bridge or one of the many superb (and free) museums. If history is not what makes you tick then you can catch a show in the west end, party at a gig at the o2 arena, or browse the National art Gallery for free. Kids can also be entertained at London Zoo, the Aquarium, on the London Eye Ferris Wheel, at the London Dungeons Experience, Madame Tussauds or the Science Museum. Furthermore, the city flaunts some of the best shopping and night life around. At the risk of this post turning into a tourist’s guide to London, it is fair to say that the variety is immense, and I did not find this was true for a lot of other cities around the world. The USA, particularly New York, did have a lot to see and do but lacked the history as it is a relatively new nation. Auckland seemed very small in comparison and could not compete on the same level but is good for a short break. Sydney was another of my favourites because after you have seen the sights you can head out of the city on an excursion to the bush, and Tokyo was a crazy place, very busy but certainly not for everyone. I found the language barrier quite hard to get on board with through no fault of its own.

I am by no means knocking any other city; I would never do that until I tried it. They are all different which is great and how it should be, but am I being narrow minded? Despite travelling the globe am I still blinded by my love for my own city? Let me know if you prefer your own city or share my love for London.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11 December 2008 at 08:59 , Blogger Mark Base said...

I'm totally with you. Although I haven't travelled nearly as much as you, London - to me - is the best.

I'm currently living in Helsingborg, Sweden, but will make my way back to (live in) London again withi the next couple of years.

Thanks for your insights confirming my feelings!

 
At 11 December 2008 at 21:41 , Blogger Saadia said...

I also think London is special. One always wants to keep going back...at least I do! And I'm in the process of planning another trip next year. The city alone is more than enough for 5 days of non-stop activity. I can't speak for New York from experience, but no other city I've been to, has so much to offer (except Rome and its history maybe). But any trip less than 5 days - at least - for London wouldn't do justice to the place.

 
At 11 December 2008 at 22:18 , Blogger Alex @ The Travel Blurb said...

Come over now because the pound is very weak, lowest for 10 years against the Euro today. Not so good for my travel pospects...

 
At 12 December 2008 at 04:23 , Blogger Saadia said...

Good advice, but we plan to visit in a group, and at the moment, there are jobs and classes which are hampering travel plans. So summers, hopefully! But we've started buying the pounds, because it is quite weak against the Rupee these days. Down from 145 to 115.

 
At 15 March 2009 at 08:43 , Blogger Saadia said...

ALex, long time! How are you? Okay, so I'll be in London in the summers, with family. Strictly for tourism. Could you recommend some interesting stuff in London, beyond the obvious?

 
At 12 April 2009 at 18:46 , Blogger Saadia said...

Alton Towers or Thorpe Park?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home